Cupid has been in the dating market since 2002. The site offers its members a complete and well-designed platform to ensure the finding of their ideal match will be as pleasurable as possible. Although the company itself is based in the UK, the site offers its services to members all over the world.
1. Sign-up process
The registration process is quite similar to other online dating sites. One of the features to highlight is the “About Me” option, in which users are asked to freely write about them. Going from their favorite books, movies, hobbies, music, to their favorite places, the objective is to find stronger matches with common interests.
Some of the steps users need to follow for a successful sign-up process are:
- Fill all basic information like age, gender, height, location, sexual preferences.
- Users can sign up via Facebook or Email.
- Create a username and password.
- Users can take the personality test.
- Now the site will show off the matches.
Remember, putting some more time and effort on building a very personalized and detailed profile, by adding some more pictures, videos o even more information on the About Me section can ensure members more accurate matches suggestions.
The site has developed some special features, as well as other general ones, for members to enjoy the platform and increase their possibilities of finding a really compatible match. Here we describe some of the characteristics of each one:
- LikeBook is the Cupid’s matching system. Here members are able to see all those profiles from their suggested matches – according to their compatibility, based on the personality tests of both users. All the information users need to know will be shown. All they have to do is decide whether to start a conversation or not.
- Q-Match is the compatibility test specially created for this site. Through this feature, members are asked more information about who they are. Some statements are their hobbies, personality, lifestyle, interest, and reaction to certain specific situations. The good part? The more questions they answer, the more accurate their matches will be.
- Cupid takes safety and privacy really seriously, that’s why they have created SafeMode. This feature offers three different options for users’ profile status: Off, Basic and Full. If deciding for Off mode, everybody on the site can see and contact members. Basic Mode allows only paid members to contact, and with Full Mode only verified members can get to them.
Wingman Barney is a service just for premium members. It’s a personal assistant which will give members some extra tips and advice on how to be more successful in online dating. Cupid also offers other ways to interact with members, including “Cupid’s Arrow,” “short flirts,” “winks”, instant messaging, mail, chat rooms, and more.
3. Quality of profiles
Cupid layout remains modern and stylish, with a lot of different icons and distinguished colors. These specifications are very attractive for the younger ones, but on the contrary of what most people might think, Cupid is also a friendly place for those single seniors. Despite the design, the site remains an easy to access menu which functions in a straightforward way.
Cupid’s profiles are very comprehensive, users just need to follow the simple instructions and fill all the text fields in order to complete their personal information and gain more success in their matches. Some of the categories that need to be filled go from sexual orientation, ethnicity, education, lifestyle, work and incomes, religion and so on.
As an extra thing to add to members’ profiles, under the character tab, they can rate themselves into some character traits such as confident, patient and caring on a scale of 1-10. Are you an all-categories 10 prospect?
Some of the characteristics that describe the quality of Cupid’s profiles are:
- All profile information is very detailed.
- The information can be either finished or changed any time later if needed.
- The site offers a lot of text boxes to just fill the information for users to have a unique profile.
- By going through the verification process, the account of members will be categorized as “safe” and they will have complete access to all other members’ profiles and information.
4. Why premium is better
Like many other sites, Cupid also offers an unlimited free membership for their users to try. This option allows them to check several of the site’s features as well as some communication options.
Although, trying a free membership will give users a good idea of what the site has to offer, in order to communicate with other members and have full access to the entire platform and features, they need to upgrade to a premium membership.
Here is a general description of both the free and the premium membership.
Free membership account:
- Access to the chatroom.
- Access to all profiles and profile pictures.
- Account registration and profile creation.
- Sending winks and “Cupid Arrows” to catch the attention of matches.
- Full Safe Mode access.
- Full access to all the site’s features.
- Members can send and receive messages through the platform.
- Complete access to the entire photo album on other user’s profiles.
- Members are able to see who liked them and who viewed them as well.
Comparing with other online dating sites, Cupid’s prices are average. So, go and register for a free trial, check it out and do the search of your matches. If it’s what you are looking for, upgrade your account in order to have more in-depth experience and the possibility to contact those matches of your interest… it might be worth it!
5. My experience
For some, having the possibility to try the site with the free membership is a valuable opportunity to decide later if the site actually collects all characteristics they are searching for and only then, decide to upgrade and start making the experience even more satisfactory.
Here are some of the good and bad characteristic of the site for consideration:
- Easy and friendly layout for every range of age to access.
- Users are able to browse profiles with a free membership.
- Cupid has multiple ways to interact, like messages, Cupid’s arrows, chat rooms, sending winks and more.
- As a bonus, members who complete at least 50% of their profile’s statements, receive a 50% discount on their premium subscription.
- A paid membership is required in order to have full access to the entire features and to get in touch with other members of your interest.
- For some single seniors, many different features and icons may be too much and become overwhelming, especially for those that are non-tech savvy.
- Membership upgrade page appears frequently on your screen device, making you distracted from what you are doing at that time.